Year 6 at Houghton Primary School
Year Six represents the end of our time at Houghton on the Hill Primary School and our focus is on developing skills to become life-long learners. We celebrate our time at Houghton and reflect on how far we have come whilst also looking forward to new beginnings.
We believe that it is important for children in Year 6 to have a range of responsibilities and leadership opportunities enabling all our children to confidently prepare for the transition to Secondary school.
Year Six responsibilities include:
- House Captains
- Sports Ambassadors
- School Councillors
- IT Prefects
- Collective Worship Prefects
- Office Prefects
- Reading Mentors
For the majority of these positions, children need to apply either in writing (e.g. for prefect positions) or by making a presentation to class mates which is then voted on (eg house captains).
In addition to these positions, all children in Year 6 are expected to assist throughout the year in a range of activities such as teacher and office jobs.
To find out more about some of these positions, click on the links below.
We have four houses represented by colours: red, yellow, blue and green. There are two house captains for each house (ideally one boy and one girl).
To be selected as a House Captain, children draft a speech about why they would make a suitable House Captain and they deliver that speech to the members of their house in Year Six. There is then a secret ballot and house members vote for their preferred candidate.
- To represent the whole house and receive the house cup in achievement assemblies and on Sports Day.
- To motivate team members in order to win more house points.
- To organise inter-house events and competitions – particularly those that encourage team effort.
- To act as ambassadors for the school at events including showing adults around the school.
- To act as role models around the school for the school values (honesty - faith - courage - kindness - love - patience - respect - forgiveness - truth – joy)
Year 6 - some useful websites!
General for all subjects
Strategies for problems solving with bar models
Instant recall of number facts
Learning and practicing timestables
General maths support and revision
Help with spelling and grammar
Practise different English skills
Activities to practise and reinforce spelling rules
Help with our science topics