At Houghton Primary School, we have reviewed our Art Curriculum Offer, and alongside the aim of the National Curriculum have agreed the following vision for the subject in our school:
- To develop an understanding of the breadth of arts and crafts, and how they link to our cultural heritage
- To develop pupils’ understanding of how art and craft can be a response to historical or geographical contexts
- To promote growth mindset and wellbeing though opportunities to experiment, make choices, practice mindfulness and express difference and opinions
- To make links between visual arts and career pathways.
- To develop pupils’ skills in close observation;
- To develop skills in drawing, painting, sculpting and printing, with a range of materials;
- To foster an emotional and spiritual response in pupils to the visual world;
Pupils at Houghton Primary can expect to be taught under the following themes:
The teaching of art skills and knowledge takes place through focused art days in Sketching, Painting and Famous Art, and through a high quality art project each half term.
Pupils will encounter a number of well-known artists and crafters, and to become familiar with key well-known items of art.
Pupils will in their life at primary school have an opportunity to visit an art gallery.