Welcome to the Governors' page on the
Houghton on the Hill Primary School website
School Governors are drawn from different parts of the community and some are by elected by parents or staff. This helps ensure the Governing Body has sufficient diversity of views and experience but does not mean Governors of a particular category represent that group on the Governing Body. For example, Parent Governors do not represent the parents at the school and do not report back to them.
The Governing Body has a range of duties and powers and a general responsibility for the conduct of the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational welfare and achievement. Its responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. Agreeing the school improvement plan with the head teacher
2. Setting and reviewing targets for pupil achievement
3. Ensuring targets and policies are met and implemented
4. Planning how the school’s budget will be allocated
5. Making sure the curriculum is balanced and broadly based
6. Appointing senior staff
7. Reviewing the head teacher’s performance and pay
Who are our Governors?
- Roger Bettles is our Vice-Chair of Governors, is a foundation governor, and a member of the Personnel & Finance Committee
- Helen Brown is a foundation governor and a member of the Personnel & Finance Committee; Pupil Premium governor
- Tim Dolan is a parent governor and Vice-Chair of the Curriculum & Learning Committee; Mathematics champion
- Patricia Ford is a co-opted governor and Chair of the Safeguarding Committee; I.T./e-safety/GDPR champion
- Ann Foster is a staff governor and sits on the Safeguarding Committee
- Harriet Hurdley-Lees is a co-opted governor, and a member of the Curriculum & Learning Committee
- Anjum Matharu is a co-opted governor and a member of the Safeguarding Committee
- Sarah Moore is a co-opted governor, Chair of the Curriculum & Learning Committee and is the English Champion
- Elizabeth Morrison is a parent governor and member of the Safeguarding Committee
- Mark Newman is a co-opted governor, Chair of Governors, and Chair of the Personnel & Finance Committee
- Revd Steve Ransley is a foundation governor and a member of the Personnel & Finance Committee; Sports Premium/PE governor
- Chloe Shipley is a parent governor, and a member of the Safeguarding Committee; SEND link governor
- Jodie Wilson is a co-opted governor and a member of the Personnel & Finance Committee
- Ali Woollerson, Headteacher, ex officio governor, sits on all the main committees
All governors serve a term of office of four years unless stated otherwise.
Clerk to the Governors: Richard Morrison
Types of Governor
Parent governors: elected by parents (or appointed if insufficient people stand for election) and drawn from parents and carers of children at the school
Staff governors: elected by teaching and support staff paid to work at the school
Foundation governors: appointed by the school's founding body, the Leicester Diocesan Board of Education
Co-opted governors: appointed by the governing body if they have, in the opinion of the governing body, the skills to contribute to the effectiveness of governance and the success of the school.
Governors whose appointment ended in the last 12 months:
Becky Pickard (Co-opted Governor) retired July 2023
Sue Swann (Co-opted Governor) retired June 2023
You can contact any of the Governors via the school office with comments or concerns relating to the school at any time.
We value your feedback.