Welcome to the Governors' page on the
Houghton on the Hill Primary School website
School Governors are drawn from different parts of the community and can be parents and staff or from the local authority, the community and other groups. This helps ensure the Governing Body has sufficient diversity of views and experience but does not mean Governors of a particular category represent that group on the Governing Body. For example, Parent Governors do not represent the parents at the school and do not report back to them.
The Governing Body has a range of duties and powers and a general responsibility for the conduct of the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational welfare and achievement. Its responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. Agreeing the school improvement plan with the head teacher
2. Setting and reviewing targets for pupil achievement
3. Ensuring targets and policies are met and implemented
4. Planning how the school’s budget will be allocated
5. Making sure the curriculum is balanced and broadly based
6. Appointing senior staff
7. Reviewing the head teacher’s performance and pay
Who are our Governors and Associate Members?
- Roger Bettles is our Vice-Chair, is a foundation governor, and chair of the Personnel Committee
- Helen Brown is a foundation governor and a member of the Finance Committee
- Ingrid Cochrane is a co-opted governor, Chair of the Safeguarding Committee and sits on the Personnel Committee
- Ann Foster is a staff governor and sits on the Safeguarding Committee
- Bill Knopp is a parent governor and sits on our Safeguarding Committee
- Jan Knox, Headteacher, sits on all committees
- Toby Large is a parent governor, EYFS Champion and a member of the Curriculum and Learning Committee
- Hazel McSweeney is a local authority governor and sits on the Curriculum and Learning Committee
- Rob Miles is a church governor. He sits on the Curriculum and Learning Committee and is the Maths. Champion
- Sarah Moore is a parent governor who is Chair of the Curriculum and Learning Committee and is the Literacy Champion
- Mark Newman is a co-opted governor and is Chair of Governors and Chair of the Finance Committee
- Minaxi Patel is a parent governor and sits on our Safeguarding and Finance Committees
- Sue Swann is our Lead Governor for Anti-Bullying; she is a co-opted governor and sits on the Safeguarding Committee
- Alex Wheldon is a parent governor and sits on our Personnel Committee
- Ali Woollerson is a co-opted governor, Deputy Headteacher and sits on the Curriculum and Learning Committee
- Patricia Ford sits on the Safeguarding Committee
- Mike Norwood sits on the Personnel Committee and chairs our Pay Committee
- Rebecca Pickard sits on the Finance Committee
What are the types of Governors?
Parent governors: selected by election (or appointment if insufficient people stand for election) and drawn from parents and carers of children at the school
Staff governors: selected by election from teaching and support staff paid to work at the school
Foundation governors: appointed by the school's founding body, church or other organisation named in the school's instrument of government
Associate Members are not governors, but can be appointed to serve on (and chair) committees and attend meetings. They have voting rights as committee members but are not able to vote at Full Governing Body meetings
You can contact any of the Governors in person or via the school office with comments or concerns relating to the school at any time.
We value your feedback.