Welcome to the Governors' page on the
Houghton on the Hill Primary School website
School Governors are drawn from different parts of the community and some are by elected by parents or staff. This helps ensure the Governing Body has sufficient diversity of views and experience but does not mean Governors of a particular category represent that group on the Governing Body. For example, Parent Governors do not represent the parents at the school and do not report back to them.
The Governing Body has a range of duties and powers and a general responsibility for the conduct of the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational welfare and achievement. Its responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. Agreeing the school improvement plan with the head teacher
2. Setting and reviewing targets for pupil achievement
3. Ensuring targets and policies are met and implemented
4. Planning how the school’s budget will be allocated
5. Making sure the curriculum is balanced and broadly based
6. Appointing senior staff
7. Reviewing the head teacher’s performance and pay
Who are our Governors?
- Roger Bettles is our Vice-Chair, is a foundation governor and a member of the Personnel & Finance Committee
- Helen Brown is a foundation governor and a member of the Personnel & Finance Committee; Pupil Premium governor
- Ingrid Cochrane is a co-opted governor; she sits on the Personnel & Finance Committee and also the Safeguarding Committee
- Patricia Ford is a co-opted governor and a member of the Safeguarding Committee; I.T. /e-safety/GDPR champion
- Ann Foster is a staff governor and sits on the Safeguarding Committee
- Jan Knox, Headteacher, ex officio governor, sits on all the main committees
- Toby Large is a parent governor, SEN governor and a member of the Curriculum & Learning Committee; EYFS Champion
- Hazel McSweeney is a co-opted governor and Local Authority link governor; she sits on the Curriculum & Learning Committee; PE and Sport champion; governor training & development
- Sarah Moore is a parent governor, Chair of the Curriculum & Learning Committee and is the Literacy Champion
- Mark Newman is a co-opted governor, Chair of Governors and a member of the Personnel & Finance Committee
- Rebecca Pickard is a co-opted governor and sits on the Personnel & Finance Committee; Maths. champion
- Sue Swann is a co-opted governor, Chair of the Safeguarding Committee and lead governor for Anti-Bullying
- Alex Wheldon is a parent governor and sits on the Personnel & Finance Committee
- Ali Woollerson, Deputy Headteacher, is a co-opted governor and sits on the Curriculum & Learning Committee
All governors serve a term of office of four years unless stated otherwise.
What are the types of Governor?
Parent governors: selected by election (or appointment if insufficient people stand for election) and drawn from parents and carers of children at the school
Staff governors: selected by election from teaching and support staff paid to work at the school
Foundation governors: appointed by the school's founding body, church or other organisation named in the school's instrument of government
Co-opted governors: appointed by the governing body and have, in the opinion of the governing body, the skills to contribute to the effectiveness governance and success of the school.
Governors whose term of office expired in the last 12 months:
Bill Knopp (Parent governor) on 4 December 2018
Rob Miles (Foundation governor) on 18 June 2018
Minaxi Patel (Parent governor) on 18 June 2018
You can contact any of the Governors in person or via the school office with comments or concerns relating to the school at any time.
We value your feedback.